Thứ Sáu, 18 tháng 3, 2016

IN PHOTOS: CRAZY, COLORFUL HANOI OLD QUARTER

IN PHOTOS: CRAZY, COLORFUL HANOI OLD QUARTER

Vietnam was the Southeast Asian country I was most excited to visit.  We started our Vietnamese adventure with two weeks in the capital city of Hanoi. I have to admit that we came mainly for the food, but unexpectedly, the city completely enthralled me before I even took my first bite.
Hanoi feature picture
This city… how do I begin to paint the picture?
It’s absolutely crazy. Even though I was no longer a Southeast Asia newbie by the time I made it there, the madness of the city still took me by surprise. There seems to be no traffic laws at all. Dozens of scooters plow through intersections at once, whether there’s a light or not. At the same time, tiny ladies with carrying poles laden with fruits & veggies walk calmly right into the mess, somehow coming out on the other side unscathed. Cars and scooters are constantly honking to make aware of their presence. The air is perpetually ringing with the rumble of engines and beeping of horns.
It’s funny, because I could say a lot of things about Hanoi that I’ve used as reasons to not like a place (noise, bad air, way too much cigarette smoke, dirty ground, etc.), but Hanoi just wouldn’t be its crazy, charming self without those characteristics. The city is so alive with a kind of pulsating energy that grabs you and won’t let go.
We stayed in a little boutique hotel in the heart of Hanoi’s Old Quarter, an area jam packed with old buildings, street food, cafes, shops, and markets. Our days quickly settled into a routine: late breakfast, cafe, wandering, rest at hotel, more food, another cafe, and yet more food. Frankly, there’s really not much to see here in terms of touristy activities, but the best part of Hanoi is in its people and simply observing everyday life.
The Old Quarter is small. Everyday, we walked the same streets, past the same vendors and shops. And everyday, I remained captivated by all the activities happening around me. There was nothing more I’d like to do than to take a million pictures. I wanted to somehow capture the aliveness of the city and the amazing people who gave it that life. Day after day, I told myself that today is the day I will ask to take their pictures.
I wanted to capture the doughnut vendors carrying large baskets of the fried goodness on their heads. And the roaming florists whose bikes are so bursting with flowers that you can’t see the rider. And the granny who served up steamy bowls of bun rieu on the sidewalk, nonchalantly waving about a fat wad of cash. I wanted to capture the little ladies shucking chestnuts or roasting corn roadside. The tombstone carvers who so meticulously chiseled out each letter on the slab. And the deeply lined face of the old man who sat in the same spot everyday, smoking and muttering to himself.
But in the end, my shyness won out and after two weeks in town, I left without the portraits I so wanted to take (I always feel really weird asking to take a picture if I’m not going to purchase their product). Even though I didn’t get the captures I wanted, I hope these pictures will give you a sense of the vibrant, crazy, wonderful city of Hanoi.
a typical street scene: scooters and vendors
a typical street scene: scooters and vendors
a typical street scene: a million scooters and vendors
our favorite street side pho restaurant
our favorite street side pho restaurant
our favorite street side pho restaurant
bike vendors are a common sight. this one is laden with fresh veggies
bike vendors are a common sight. this one is laden with fresh veggies
bike vendors are a common sight. this one is laden with fresh veggies
another common sight: tiny ladies with these heavy carrying poles
another common sight: tiny ladies with these heavy carrying poles
another common sight: tiny ladies with these heavy carrying poles
the prettiest stray on our street. Dachshund-corgi mix?
the prettiest stray on our street. Dachshund-corgi mix?
the prettiest stray on our street. Dachshund-corgi mix?
the shoe shiner who cleaned D's shoes
the shoe shiner who cleaned D's shoes
the shoe shiner who cleaned D’s shoes
I love the architecture. The buildings are all tall and narrow
I love the architecture. The buildings are all tall and narrow
I love the architecture. The buildings are all tall and narrow
streetside snacks: chestnuts and fruit slices
streetside snacks: chestnuts and fruit slices
streetside snacks: chestnuts and chili fruit slices
no big deal... just sipping on coffee at a cafe and hanging with a chicken
no big deal... just sipping on coffee at a cafe and hanging with a chicken
no big deal… just sipping on coffee at a cafe and hanging with a chicken
an alleyway, where so much life happens
an alleyway, where so much life happens
exploring little alleyways
a bike carrying oranges
a bike carrying oranges
a bike carrying oranges
uh oh... an intersection jam
uh oh... an intersection jam
uh oh… an intersection jam. somehow everyone gets through this without incident or delay
eating on tiny stools in the sidewalk. the vendors carry their entire restaurant on their backs
eating on tiny stools in the sidewalk. the vendors carry their entire restaurant on their backs
eating on tiny stools on the sidewalk. the vendors carry their entire restaurant on their backs, stools and all
flower vendors are probably the cheeriest sight
flower vendors are probably the cheeriest sight
flower vendors are probably the cheeriest sight in town (I was never brave enough to ask for pictures, so all I have are ones taken from the back)
keeping birds seem to be a popular pastime. cages with chirping birds can be seen everywhere
keeping birds seem to be a popular pastime. cages with chirping birds can be seen everywhere
keeping birds seem to be a popular pastime. cages with chirping birds can be seen everywhere
an adorably scruffy dog by the rail tracks
an adorably scruffy dog by the rail tracks
a scruffy dog chained up by the rail tracks
one last shot of a busy street
one last shot of a busy street
one last shot of a busy street
Have you been to Hanoi? What’s the craziest city you’ve visited? How do you handle taking portraits of locals?

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét